A golden rule to achieve lovely eyes is to drink plenty of water throughout the day. Water flushes out harmful toxins in your body and keeps your eyes clear and healthy. Eating fruits and vegetables are loaded with vitamin A and C, can improve the health of your eyes. Getting enough proteins (meat, fish, eggs) and dairy foods are known to keep eyes healthy.
Most woman know that being outside in the hot sun is unwise and poison to the eyes. Your eyes tend to squint naturally at the bright sun light to focus, which eventually causes wrinkles. Make it a rule to always wear sun glasses when outdoors.
Here are 4 natural remedies that have been passed down through generations using natural ingredients to beautify and heal your eyes.
Rose Water to Reduce Eye Strain
Rose water is an effective way to soothe, heal and reduce eye strain. It has a beautiful, pleasant fragrance that benefits the skin in many ways. It tones, hydrates, firms, and even prevents acne, wrinkles, sunburns and stressed skin. Rose water is wonderful for the eyes, as it also contains antiseptic and antibacterial properties.
- Soak cotton pads in cool rosewater.
- Place on eyelids for about 10-15 minutes and relax.
Witch Hazel for Tired Eyes
Witch hazel comes from the leaves and bark of a tree, and is abundantly grown in North America. It is a wonderful herb used to revive and rejuvenate tired, dull looking eyes. It has antiseptic properties that’s great for the face, and can be used to treat any eye injury, sore, bruise or infection.
Witch hazel is a clear liquid that works as an astringent that can be taken internally or externally. Many cosmetic products contain witch hazel for it’s natural healing abilitites. Some men use it as an aftershave, to heal cuts and nicks.
- Soak cotton pads in witch hazel and place on each eyelid.
- Leave on closed eyes for about 10 minutes.
- For added relaxation and stress relief, dim the light and listen to soft music.
Potatoes to Eliminate Dark Circles
Potatoes contain high smounts of vitamin C, B6 and more potassium than all other fruits and vegeables. Potassium is known to keep all the fluids in your body balanced.
Your skin has the ablility to absorb what you put on it, so naturally, what you place on your eyes, you will absorb. Using potatoes on your eyes will provide vital nutrients to keep your eyes bright and healthy.
Placing potato slices or doing a potato compress can help eliminate dark circles around the eyes, and The starch in potatoes can fade the dark circles gradually as it lifts the skin around the eyes.
- Grate one small raw potato and place into two thin cloth pouches.
- Place over closed eyelids for 15-20 minutes.
- Can be done every other day to keep dark circles away.
- Apply some olive or almond oil to your eyes if your they feel dry before bedtime.
Mint Leaves to Heal, Energize and Remedy Dark Circles
This is an old Indian remedy from generations ago for dark circles. Using mint leaves, almond oil, which is a gentle lubricant, and honey, which is quite healing and energizing.
This remedy works wonders to keep your eyes bright and lovely, and can be added to your nightly routine.
- Crush the mint leaves with some water to make it into a juice.
- Add the almond oil and honey to the mint juice.
- Place a little amount under your eyes before going to bed.