A healthy immune system is the key to warding off colds and coughs,Particularly in the winter when infections are rife. A good diet, regular exercise,rest and relaxation will help to keep infections at bay.
Serves this recipe for 2 persons.
Preparation time: 30 minutes
- 50g (2 oz) fresh or 25g (1 oz) dried
- thyme leaves
- 600ml (1 pint) boiling water
- 300g (10 oz) runny honey
- 300g (10 oz) sugar
- Place the thyme in a teapot.
- Pour on boiling water,cover and leave to infuse for 10-15 minutes.
- Heat tge infusion with the honey and sugar in a stainless steel or enamel saucepan.
- Stir the mixture as it starts to thicken and skim off any scum from the surface. Leave to cool.
- Pour into a cork-stoppered bottle and store in the refrigerator.
- Take 2 teaspoons, 3 times daily for chronic problems,and every 2 hours for acute conditions in children.
This sweet fragrant syrup from Greece makes an excellent remedy for all kinds of coughs. Thyme is highly antiseptic and,with its expectorant action, chases away infection and clears congestion from the chest. A perfect syrup for children with its smooth, velvety texture and delicious taste.