Rough, darkened knees and elbow are a common problem. They become dark because of dead skin cells. Elbow skin is naturally thicker and more prone to moisture loss than other skin. On top of it, the wear and tear of leaning over them can further roughen the skin and make it coarse.
Black knees and elbows can happen to any person regardless of the color of their skin. Getting too much sun and not exfoliating your skin add to the darkening of the skin. You can easily get rid of these dark knees and elbows using various home remedies. The home remedies should be based on exfoliation and bleaching of the skin.
Baking Soda mixed with Milk: Mixed these two ingredients well to make a thick paste. Apply this paste onto your elbows and knees and rub it in circular motions. Repeat this treatment every day or every alternate day, till your dark knees and elbows are lightened.
Caution: If the affected area on your elbows and knees is bruised or cracked, avoid using lemon or salt ingredients thereon.
2.Coconut Oil and Lemon Juice
Mix one tsp. of coconut oil with 1/2 tsp. of lemon juice in a small glass bowl. Rub this natural whitening solution onto your dark elbows and knees and leave it there for 15 to 20 minutes. Wipe off any excess lotion using paper towels. Coconut oil is not only very soothing, but it works as a hydrating agent and natural bleacher.
3.Turmeric , Honey And Milk
Turmeric has antiseptic properties and milk act as bleach. Honey moisturizes the dry skin and also has antiseptic properties. These natural properties of the ingredients will help to get rid of black elbows and knees.
- Mix some turmeric with milk and honey to make it a smooth paste
- Apply it on the dark areas and leave it there for at least 20 minutes
- Wet your hands and rub it for 2 minutes and then wash it off with water
4.Sugar And Olive Oil
The sugar present in this home remedy work as exfoliate and the olive oil will moisturize the skin.
- Mix equal quantities of olive oil and sugar to make a thick paste
- Apply this mix on to the black knees and elbow
- Rub the skin using this mixture for about five minutes.
- Wash using mild soap and water
5. Lemon And Honey
Lemon juice has natural bleaching property and honey moisturizes the skin preventing darkening of the skin. Repeat this remedy at least thrice a week to get better results
- Take the juice of one lemon and mix it with one tablespoon of honey
- Apply the mixture of lemon and honey on the affected areas and leave the mixture to act for at least 20 minutes
- Wash the mixture off with water to get the lightened skin.
It is an antioxidant. In addition it has bleaching and exfoliating properties, and so can be used to get rid of dark skin / dead cells on various parts of your body, including dark elbows and knees. It also clears the way for the healthy cells reproduction.
Cut a large lemon into two equal halves. Squeeze out a little juice from both halves, so as that you have two small cups. Scrub each lemon half onto your elbows and knees for 10 to 15 minutes. Rub away the pulp. Keep the cleansed areas away from sunlight by staying indoor or covering them with some loose clothing. However, do not put water on the cleansed areas. Moisturize the areas with pure petroleum jelly or vaseline. Your elbows or knees will feel smoother and softer. Repeat this process every day for a couple of weeks to see significant improvement. Continue with this treatment till your elbows and knees are lightened, and thereafter as and when needed.
This oil has natural bleaching properties and it also softens the rough skin on the knees and elbow giving it smoothness and glow. This is one of the cheapest remedy for dark skin formed by friction and dryness.
- Rub warm olive oil to the knees and elbows every day for 10 minutes
You can use any exfoliating brush or loofah to remove the dead cells from the knee and elbow
- Use the exfoliating brush or loofah while taking bath, when the skin is moist and scrub the skin in circular motion
9.Aloe Vera Gel
Aloe Vera reduces the sun damage caused to the skin due to overexposure of the elbows and knees to the sun. It also moisturizes the skin and prevents the dryness which may lead to darkening of the skin.
- Take fresh leaves of Aloe Vera and take out the gel by breaking the fleshy leaf.
- Apply the fresh gel to the knees and elbows and leave it for half an hour to get fresh looking skin on your elbows and knees.
10.Vinegar And Yoghurt
When used together this home remedy to reduce the dark color of the skin as they cleanse and moisturize the skin.
- Apply a mixture of vinegar and yoghurt on the affected areas and leave it to dry
- When the mixture becomes dry rub the area in circular motion for two minutes and wash.