It is a well-known fact that getting a good night`s sleep is of utmost importance for optimal health. Unfortunately, many people struggle with insomnia (sleeplessness), especially in stressful situations. Stress negatively affects the body in various ways, including muscle fatigue, increased levels of anxiety and cognitive impairment.
The good news is that there is a technique which is proven to work on even the most severe cases. It is called the “4-7-8” breathing trick and it works wonders!
How to Perform This Breathing Trick
– Inhale through your nose for a count of 4 seconds
– Hold your breath for a count of 7 seconds
– Exhale through the mouth for a count of 8 seconds
– Repeat the cycle 4 times or until you fall asleep
Make sure you don’t speed up your breathing but maintain the 4-7-8 breathing pattern.
How it Works?
It has been scientifically shown that stress and anxiety negatively affect the overall health and that people who are stressed or anxious may be taking quick and shallow breaths, as opposed o the slow, deep breaths needed to relax.
– By inhaling for a count of 4, you are forcing yourself to take in more oxygen
– By holding the breath for 7 seconds, you are allowing the oxygen to spread throughout the bloodstream
– By exhaling for 8 seconds, you are removing carbon dioxide from the lungs
In brief, this breathing technique allows your body to relax by slowing the heart rate and increasing the levels of oxygen in the bloodstream.
Dr. Andrew Weil, one of the major proponents of this technique, doesn’t promise that the technique will work for everyone but recommends people to give it a try as it is all-natural and completely safe. Therefore, the next time you are having a sleepless night, perform this simple trick instead of reaching for over-the-counter pills.