Body scrubs leave skin feeling fresh and smooth as well as healthy and glowing by exfoliating off old layers of dead skin. (They are also a must before applying sunless tanner or getting a spray tan.) Sometimes you just don’t have the money to buy one or just don’t have one on hand to use when you need a good scrub. No worries….you can make your own body scrub using any one of these amazing recipes below with ingrediants that you most likely already have stashed in your kitchen pantry.
Pumpkin Spice Sugar Scrub
This festive holiday mix will let you enjoy the smells of fall just a little longer, but in the bathtub instead of the kitchen.Sugar scrub couldn’t be easier. If you’re not keen on pumpkin-scented scrub like the one in the photo below, you can certainly use other spices or scents (such as ground coffee beans, lavender, peppermint oil or vanilla). To make it especially gift-worthy, package it in a pretty jar and give an accompanying towel.Sugar feels slightly gentler on your skin than salt. You can use either brown or white sugar.
Coffee Body Scrub
Mud scrub is basically sugar and coffee combined. Caffeine and coffee in beauty products have tightening and antioxidant effects on the skin. Caffeine is a vasoconstrictor, meaning that it causes blood vessels to constrict, so it can temporarily reduce varicose veins and rosacea. Intriguingly, experiments have shown that caffeine applied to the skin of mice makes them less likely to get skin cancer… but we don’t know yet whether this works for humans.
- 1 cup course sea salt
- 1/2 cup raw sugar
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 10 drops grapefruit essential oil
- 10 drops sweet orange essential oil
- 5 drops lemon essential oil
- Combine the sea salt and sugar in a small jar (do not fill to the top)
- Heat coconut oil on low heat until it becomes a liquid
- Remove coconut oil from heat and add esstential oils
- Pour coconut oil and essential oils mixture over the sea salt and sugar mixture (do not stir ingredients)
- Apply to body and massage into skin for a few minutes
- 1 cup organic cane sugar
- 1/3 cup celtic sea salt
- 1/2 cup organic coconut oil
- 2-3 tbsp. almond oil
- 1 tbsp. vitamin e
- Couple drops of lavendar essential oil
- Combine all ingredients (oils last); mix well
- Apply to body and massage into skin